Barcelona

Summer is a fantastic time for travelling. For me this summer's trip was to Barcelona. The only experience I had with Spain beforehand were from my numerous visits to the Canary Islands and a layover at the BCN airport. And based on this trip, I know that this wasn't my last time there either.

I fell hopelessly in love with the city. I think this was mostly for its versatility. The city has it all: beach and city, laidback and formal, old and new. Art is also clearly visible everywhere thanks to the abundance of statues, monuments and beautiful architecture. This brings a very nice touch and gives the city a cultural feel.




 



The hotel I stayed at was situated closer to the beach, a bit further away from the center in Poblenou. The area was very nice and so village-like. Looking down from our hotel window I could see a lively restaurant lined with Vespas and packed with both local and foreign diners enjoying their dinner in the lovely movie-setting-like venue. Of course I couldn't leave the city without trying out the place for myself. It managed to exceed my already high expectations in both its gulinary experience and atmosphere. 

Heading out from our hotel we began touring Barcelona by bikes. I absolutely love this way of getting to know my surroundings. I had been dreaming of those narrow alleys and the sight of pictoresque balconies displaying flower pots. Biking was perfect for realizing that dream.






Another thing I had been looking forward to was fresh smoothies. I was overflowing with joy whenever I got to sip on a pure fruit'n'veggie smoothie or enjoy an acaibowl at my new go-to place: Surf House Barcelona. Their menu is a perfect blend of healthy dishes and street-food. Of course the same applies to the drinks menu too: you can order a superfood juice or any traditional cocktail. My tongue waters just thinking of the place and remembering the ocean view. One day I will go back and try the avocado toast. I swear.

An interesting fact I noticed is that gluten free, vegan and other vegetarian diets were well taken into consideration throughout the city for example by having ceveral restaurants and cafés specialized in that kind of food. And no matter where you ended up walking into, the staff was very keen on helping out with special diets and allergies -as is the case with my brother.










Super fresh markets in the Poblenou area.
The authentic restaurant down our street.
Surf House Barcelona. Go. Here.

Sightseeing was also on our minds and gladly we got to see all of the biggest attractions, such as La Sagrada Familia and Parc Güell, some smaller ones i.g. the Picasso museum, and places familiar from a book I had read just before the trip. You can read more about my experiences with the Barcelona set novel, The Shadow of the Wind, here.






At the end of my five-day visit I wasn't at all ready to kiss Barcelona goodbye. I felt in my heart that I would be coming back again to see, taste and feel more.

A muy fantastic city that easily climbed its way to the top of my list of my favorite places ever. I warmly recommend the city! It has something to offer for everyone.












...4nna...

CONVERSATION

0 kommenttia:

Post a Comment

Back
to top