Fight the Cold

It's that time of year again, it's cold outside, stress levels are soaring and as a result there's always somebody whose nose is running. It's like everyone is dodging viruses trying to avoid catching anything more than the last rays of daylight.

I can really relate. Even with a pretty good immune system I might feel under the weather much more often than I would like to. Most of the time it's caused by my own stubbornness when I stupidly resist  believing that I should dress up warmer. Sometimes it just comes out of the blue taking me by surprise.





Whatever the case may be for you, it's a smart idea to take care of yourself and thus stay healthy and strong through the flu season. So here's my pro tips for you:

1. Dress warm
This doesn't mean "forget style". I've thought so too many times and therefore had to take several days off because my trendy but totally-not-season-appropriate outfit has led to me catching the cold. Not cool. Layering is key. And that way you can wear almost anything you would at any other time and still be warm and cozy. I'm also a really big fan of knee socks, sweaters and wearing two shirts.

2. Drink tea
Green tea is obviously good for you, but having any natural tea with you to warm you up is a life saver when it gets cold. My school is really well air conditioned (read freezing) so I love to have tea with me in a thermos to carry some extra heat.

3. Soups
Possibly the most comforting and warming meal you can have. Plus there's so many variations that you cannot get bored! Choosing healthy ingredients will, in addition, add vital nutrients and vitamins to your diet whilst making your taste buds dance. My faves: fish, spinach, carrot, chicken, beet, pumpkin, mushroom...

4. Vitamin D
Especially for us Northerners it's super important to pay attention to our vitamin D intake. Since the winter seasons are very short on sunlight, it's professionally recommended to use a supplement. But don't take just any pills -make sure the dosage is reasonable, there aren't any dubious additives like sweeteners and you really don't need to supplement any other vitamins. So, just plain D will do! This is really important in order to maximise the good. 
So why D? Well, normally our skin absorbs UVB-rays from the sun and uses that to make building blocks for the vitamin D. Once the D is formed, it is vital for bone health, hormonal balance, formation of other minerals (like calcium) which help with digestion of for example vitamin C.




5. Get active and rest
As always, remember to work out and rest enough. Especially when school/work gets intense both will really help! You'll also feel way more energetic and do everything more efficiently than if you didn't exercise or sleep enough. The same works for your immune system too.

6.  Spice it up
Spices like ginger help boost your metabolism and can detox the body which will help with getting rid of bad gunk and boost the digestion of all the good that our bodies need to function and keep us strong. My personal fave is the aforementioned ginger. I love it in tea (especially with mango!) and my newest addiction is ginger candy. So absurd but obsessive. Do try! (I like Ginger People and these  yoghurt covered ginger chunks that are sold at for example Punnitse&Säästä)

7. Zink
If, no matter what you've tried to shield yourself with, the notorious flu is onto you, take zink tablets. An increased intake when the flu is sneaking up on you can help fight it off. Especially sucking on zink acetate tablets will help with a sore throat or the mucosa in general. Even a slight "over dosage" for only a few days is ok.

Hopefully I can spare you the agony of not feeling your best during this merry time with these tips!
Stay healthy! <3

...4nna...

CONVERSATION

0 kommenttia:

Post a Comment

Back
to top